The Best Creamy Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes | Ambitious Kitchen
- 5 pounds gold potatoes, diced (peeled or unpeeled, your choice)
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth or vegetarian broth
- 1/3 cup softened butter (or vegan butter)
- 1/2 cup sour cream or whole milk greek yogurt
- 1/2-1 cup unsweetened almond milk, plus more to thin potatoes out if necessary (can also use skim milk or 2% milk)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- To garnish:
- Extra butter
- Fresh thyme spigs
- Freshly ground black pepper
In a large 5 or 6 quart slow cooker add diced potatoes, minced garlic and broth. Cook on high for 3-4 hours until potatoes are very fork tender.
Once potatoes are done cooking, place slow cooker on warm setting and add in butter, sour cream and 1/2 cup of milk to start. Use a potato masher to mash potatoes until they reach your desired consistency. I happen to like my potatoes super creamy, so I mash them until they’re completely smooth.
If you want your potatoes creamier, add in ½ cup-1 cup more milk. Finally, a generous amount of salt and pepper, then mix again. Taste, and add more salt and pepper if necessary.
Transfer to a large warm casserole dish for serving, add a pat of butter, a sprinkle of fresh thyme, and a little freshly ground black pepper. Serves 10.