Contest-Winning Broccoli Chicken Casserole
Contest-Winning Broccoli Chicken Casserole Recipe -This delicious twist on chicken divan came from an old boss, who gave the recipe to me when I got married. It’s quick, satisfying comfort food. —Jennifer Schlachter, Big Rock, Illinois
- 1 package (6 ounces) chicken stuffing mix
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 cup frozen broccoli florets, thawed
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed broccoli cheese soup, undiluted
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare stuffing mix according to package directions, using only 1-1/2 cups water.
- In large bowl, combine chicken, broccoli and soup; transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Top with stuffing; sprinkle with cheese. Bake, covered, 20 minutes. Uncover; bake until heated through, 10-15 minutes longer.
Freeze option: Transfer individual portions of cooled casserole to freezer containers; freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Transfer to a microwave-safe dish and microwave, covered, on high until a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth if necessary.
Test Kitchen Tips
- Good cooks like to keep some go-to meals on hand that don’t require a special trip to the store. Keep chicken breasts in the freezer and you’ll always be ready.
- Sharp cheddar cheese has been aged longer than regular cheddar. As cheese ages, its flavor becomes more pronounced. Using aged cheese in a recipe can add complexity and rich flavor, even to humble favorites like mac ’n’ cheese.