Chinese Chicken and Broccoli *Better than Takeout* – Simply Whisked
This Chinese chicken and broccoli stir fry is easy and healthy with a sauce that takes just like takeout. Serve it with jasmine rice for a simple recipe that’s perfect for families. #chicken #chinese
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 1 8-ounce can sliced water chestnuts, optional
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce (or tamari for gluten free)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce (or tamari for gluten free)
- 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour (or 1 tablespoon cornstarch for gluten free)
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- Whisk the marinade ingredients together in a small bowl. Pour over sliced chicken and let marinate until ready to cook.
- Steam broccoli in a large, microwave safe container for 3 minutes.
- Whisk the sauce ingredients together in a second medium bowl.
- Heat a large, non-stick skillet to medium-high (add 1 tablespoon of oil if not using a nonstick pan).
- Add chicken with its marinade. Sauté until chicken is golden brown, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes.
- Add the sauce, steamed broccoli and water chestnuts to pan. Stir to evenly coat the ingredients with sauce and cook until sauce has thickened – about 2 minutes.
- For a thinner sauce, add about 1 tablespoon of water at a time until desired thickness has been reached.
Source by debrakhn